Friday, March 11, 2011

Seoul Fashion Week model auditions

IMG_1041
Seoul Fashion Week model auditions were held yesterday at the U:US building next to the History & Culture Park in Dongdaemun. This is the third season I have been a part of the auditions and not much has changed.  However I did see the schedule and there are way less men's designers than usual, which I think is such a shame as Korean menswear is what it's all about! Also I was sad to hear that one of my favorites Jung Jae Lee / 이정재 the designer for Korean brand BON won't be having a show this year.

IMG_1044
I don't really know for sure but I'm guessing that auditions happen differently here than they do in other major fashion cities. In Seoul, unless you are one of the 'top models' who don't need to audition, the first round of auditions happen in this hall in the U:US building. The male models went first this year and each agency sends 5 models at a time to show their runway skills in front of a panel of every designer who will be showing this season. It's a bit nerve-wracking as you only have about 1 minute to stand out amongst a thousand other guys the same build and, if you are Korean, same hair color as you. As you can see they usually even wear the same clothes which I think is so strange.  Luckily being the only foreign model at the auditions I automatically stand out. Fingers crossed that I stand out in a good way!

IMG_1043
90% of the guys are dressed in black, wearing skinny jeans and rocking a pair of boots to give them those few extra centimeters on the catwalk. For myself being the tallest model at the auditions, I chose a flat pair of classic black Converse as I don't want to look any taller than I already do.

IMG_1047
IMG_1051
This is me sitting with Solomon, Mingu & Saul, a few of the boys from my agency, waiting for our turn to walk. Solomon actually went along to walk as a main model for Resurrection designer Ju Young Lee / 이주영 when she showed during fashion week in New York last season. He only got two shows during Seoul Fashion Week last season which I think is such a shame because he has such a unique and strong look. He's been practicing his English a bit in hopes of going over to New York or Europe to try to get work and I've been pushing him to go. I think he would do better outside of Asia - in Seoul a lot of the times there is a very western ideal of beauty, big eyes and such. But I think his sharp Asian looks would take him far.

IMG_1053
Saul rocking a shirt I totally want to get my hands on before I move to London!

xoxochadchad

1 comment:

  1. yes...ill take one of those shirts...and one of those model boys

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails