Friday, September 30, 2011

chadchad of the day 5.1

haptic
leather biker jacket / vintage
leopard print tank top / Topman
hot pink jesus necklace / Burger & Fries
galaxy print trousers / no brand


For Day 4 of London Fashion Week, when I was photographing backstage at the Paul Bench SS12 show, I decided to do a tribute of sorts to the over styling ways of K-pop.  I'm starting to miss all the boy & girl bands of Korea these days now that I'm in London and not hearing M-BLAQ, miss A, SHINee and Girls Generation blasting in every store, bus and restaurant. The only things my outfit is missing for the full K-pop experience is excessive stud detailing on my jacket, a face full of BB cream & eye liner and a whole lot of hair product.  (ps. thanks to Anna from hapticblog.blogspot.com for the photo!)






2NE1 and G-dragon & T.O.P. are obvious choices for over-styling amazingness, but I wanted to include a few other boy & girl groups that people outside of Korea may not be familiar with.


Super+Junior+MR+Simple
Super-sized boy band Super Junior, who fluctuate in size from 8 to 13 members depending on who is currently drafted by the army or filming a movie/drama at the moment, are definitely over styled with mixed results. I can appreciate the excess & sugar pop colors of the images above, but there's almost nothing good about their outfits in the video below.  But that said, skip the boring 30 second intro, close your eyes and enjoy the 'bwara Mr. Simple, Simple, geudaeneun geudaeneun geudaero meotjyeo' cheesiness that is K-pop.





There's something very ABBA or Ace of Base about this Hot Summer song by f(x), another fun K-pop girl group. I especially love the obviously tom-boyish Amber and her little English rap around 2/3rds of the way in. And a pink army tank? Amazing.



I'm loving that this video by D-NA was shot in one of my old Seoul haunts, Club Mansion in Hongdae, where my friend Sarah used to throw some crazy fun White Noize parties and where I saw DJ's like Kingdom play.  But the very best thing about K-pop? When they so obviously butcher English words with their Korean pronunciations, even when the title of the song is 'Love Parade'. Or should i say 'Lub-a Palade'?


xoxochadchad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails